As shown in my last WIP post, I built a number of subassemblies before painting them. The subassemblies for each drop pod consisted of the following:
- The bottom half of the base
- Five hatches
- The top half of the base (with the inertial guidance dome installed directly on the deck for the Dreadnought pod)
- One central column (Tactical Squad drop pod only)
- Five harnesses (Tactical Squad drop pod only)
- Five vertical supports
- A storm bolter turret
- An engine pod
|Drop pod harness subassembly|
I had read other modelers' warnings that trying to put the harness subassembly together after gluing the central column to the deck could make one's life difficult. Therefore, the harnesses, which had previously been base coated with Boltgun Metal, were glued to the central column one by one before attaching anything to the pod deck. During this process, I frequently dry fit the subassembly to the deck to make sure everything was aligned properly. Once the subassembly was built, I washed it with Nuln Oil and then dry brushed it with Chainmail. This cleaned up any streaks or puddles of wash and highlighted the edges and details. Heavier brushing was used to add scuff marks. I used the same technique for nearly all metallic regions.
|Assembled Tactical Squad drop pod base. Note the cutouts|
for the vertical supports at the five corners of the base.
|Drop pod interior. Note the interface between|
the vertical supports and the harness assembly.
As I was gluing the two vertical supports into place, I realized that the hoses that extend from each harness to the nearest support seemed to stick out a little too far (the pre-painted surface made the interference worse) and I couldn't fully insert the supports into their cutouts. I had to pull everything apart and scrape away paint and plastic just to get everything to fit. (Lesson #2: don't get so excited that you don't adequately dry fit everything first.) In the end, the supports didn't fit as well as they did on the first drop pod, but I was able to hide that fact with a little bit of extra glue in the seams and some paint. Three of the doors open and close smoothly. The fourth isn't quite as smooth as the others and the fifth hits an actuator just like the one on the Dreadnought drop pod. This could be a flaw in the model or it could be the consequence of a misalignment of the vertical supports or the engine pod subassembly.
Once I had everything put together on the two pods, I scraped excess glue from the surface and added paint and wash as necessary to repair those regions. I finished up the models by dry brushing Boltgun Metal to corners and edges to make the pods look well used.
|This picture is almost worth those four months|
|The build is frustrating, but the pods look pretty sharp|
|Within the next couple months I hope to be landing|
an Ironclad Dreadnought in the drop pod on the left
|In the next year or so I intend to add another pod for a Sternguard Squad|
It's a relief to have finally completed these two models, although I realize that much of the delay in finishing them was the fact that I often avoided even working on them. It's disheartening to paint and detail a component just to realize that there are usually four more just like it (nine if you're building two at a time). (Lesson #3: don't build more than one drop pod at a time.) When I was building a Razorback and a Predator earlier this year, I would often find that I had been working for two to three hours straight without realizing it. With the drop pods, I often thought that I had been working for hours when it had only been about 45 minutes. The models look great now that they're done, but it was an ordeal to finish them. I'm definitely not looking forward to building the Sternguard's transport, but at least I'll only be making one of them.
Tomorrow I expect to start prepping a second Tactical Squad, a squad of close combat Terminators, and an Ironclad Dreadnought for priming.