Sunday, July 22, 2012

Newest Models: Razorback and Predator

When I started playing 40K, I borrowed Bryce's ~1500 point Raven Guard army. After I had finished the Black Reach models, Bryce sold his Space Marine army to help pay for his Imperial Guard (those Steel Legion figures were surprisingly expensive). It wasn't long afterward that I realized that I sorely lacked vehicles. Unfortunately, after a veritable marathon of painting the Black Reach figures and a Vindicator, I had a very slow period during the first half of this year. Although I did a lot of prep work on various models, I was only able to finish a Sniper Scout squad.

Finally, I decided to pick up the pace and work on five vehicles at the same time. Although I was able to glue together various sub-assemblies, prime the parts, and begin painting larger areas, I ended up focusing on one vehicle at a time to avoid becoming overwhelmed.

The first one I finished is a lascannon-equipped Razorback. The turret plate and turret are held in place by gravity to allow the lascannon turret to be replaced with a heavy bolter turret or to turn the Razorback into a Rhino.

Although I enjoy playing the game, most of the reason why I like the hobby is because of the modelling. I won't sacrifice detail for speed, so each model takes me a long time. The interior of the Razorback is fully detailed (Bryce mocked me about this). Resting on a bench in this particular transport is a Tactical Squad sergeant's helmet. I put it there both to add some detail as well as to gain some practice painting laurels. I'll be painting plenty of those when I build my Vanguard and Sternguard squads.

The biggest lesson I learned while painting the laurels was not to use Ceramite White to do it. The white base paint is especially thick to allow it to cover darker colors and is difficult to use for detail work.

To ensure that I maintained consistency between my models, I pulled out my Vindicator to compare it with the Razorback. The Razorback is slightly darker due to a change in how I apply the washes. However, the color difference isn't so large that it couldn't be chalked up to different operational conditions.


The model I finished most recently is a Destructor-Pattern Predator. I'm modelling the Ultramarine's 2nd Company (hence the yellow circle with the "II" on each vehicle), whose captain was born to Talassari nobility. The Predator has therefore been christened Spear of Talassar.

A lot of the fun of making a Space Marine vehicle is in adding the various scripts, banners, blessings, etc. that the Space Marines bear into battle. I hoard the decorative bits included in the Tactical Squad and Command Squad boxes that seem a bit too big to attach to the Marines themselves but are perfectly sized for their vehicles.

Supposedly the crest on Sicarius' helmet bears the colors of his house; i.e., white and red. For that reason, much of the white script on Spear of Talassar begins with large red letters. 

Unlike my Marines, which are basecoated Mordian Blue (now Macragge Blue), all my vehicles are basecoated Ultramarine Blue (now Altdorf Guard Blue). However, the vehicles receive two to three heavy coats of black wash. I then dry brush the bascoat over the wash to highlight the edges, lighten up the overall paint job, and give the model a smudged, dirty look. This time I accidentally over-washed the Predator, which meant that I had to do a lot of dry brushing to make it consistent with the Razorback. By the time I'm done the vehicle is only slightly lighter in shade than the Marines' power armor. After I dry brush on the blue, I dry brush Boltgun Metal (now Leadbelchers) onto the corners, edges, and the occasional flat surface to give the paint a worn, chipped look.

To finish off each model, I add the decals. Once the decals are dry, I give them a very light coat of black wash so they match the smudged look of the rest of the model.

1 comment:

  1. Outstanding, man! I love to see some good Ultramarines. Keep it up!


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...